Saturday, February 5, 2011

I'm a Paint-Distressing Wimp

I bought this ceramic vase a while ago for some ridiculously low price. It was not terribly hideous, but it wasn't my favorite color.


So I painted it. And then I distressed it. And then I loved it!


And, yes, I know, I didn't get all crazy with the distressing. I'm a wimp because I'm new at this. This little vase is my first paint distressing project.  But I'm really happy with how it turned out. 

So I put it on my coffee table with some things I already had. 






See that book on the top? I bought that in an antique store about 10 years ago. I was trying to be all fancy - look at me! I buy books in antique stores because I'm so well read. Really, I've only bought two books in antique stores, and my dog ate one. And, really, I bought this one because it looked nice, and also because I thought I should read this book once in my life. It's Pride and Prejudice. Everyone loves this book, right? NOT ME! I didn't like it at all. I had to force my way through it. Ugh. But it still looks nice and fits in with my color scheme, so I'm willing to ignore my feelings for it. 

But see the book on the bottom? It's The Pillars of the Earth. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. And not just because it matches the color situation going on within the tray. It's just a really amazing book. You should probably go and read it because then you'll be cool like me. It's about the building of a cathedral in the 12th century. Sounds boring - I know! I promise you, it is a beautiful, gripping book. You know how some people reread their favorite books over and over? Well, I've never done that. But I might with this one!



And I might even distress something again, because I love my vase!

8 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

GREAT job sister! You distressed like a real pro! AND, you failed to mention that you MADE that awesome mosaic tray. DUH! You rule!

4kidsgrandma said...

Good point, Ali...that tray is almost too beautiful to cover up! The vase looks like something people pay darned good money for (uh, AFTER you fixed it up, that is!). Good job, Darcy!

Amy said...

Can you tell us how you distressed it? I'm so intimidated by it but would like to try. Yours looks great!

Darcy said...

Thanks Ali and 4kids! Okay, I'm hanging my head in pretend humbleness. I made that tray a bazillion years ago.

Thanks Amy! I just rubbed parts of the vase with some sandpaper that I had on hand. No big deal - it was easy! Don't be afraid! :)

SugarandSpice said...

I love it! My dad had a list of must reads for us growing up. Pillars of the Earth was one of them. My family reads a ton. Have you read the new sequel that came out to pillars? World without End?

Darcy said...

SugarandSpice - My mom and I read a ton, too! I haven't read World without End - I want to, though!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Oooohhh!! Awesome!!!

Rachel said...

Your vase looks great! I love that little bird too! Oh, Pillars of the Earth...good mini series that was on Starz! I'll have to check out the book now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...