Sunday, November 7, 2010

Getting It Done

A Toys R Us Christmas toy catalog came in Sunday's newspaper last week. I gave it to Peyton and Ella to look through, because I knew they would love it, but mostly because I enjoy Mommy Quiet Time. I gave the classic instructions, "Circle the toys that you would love to get for Christmas. It doesn't mean you'll get them, but it's fun, and Santa likes to know what you like."

Did you do this when you were little? I remember spending hours and hours circling my favorite toys in the Sears Christmas toy catalog when I was young. It seemed so important! I also remember that I rarely received ANY of the toys I circled. I still got great stuff - I'm not complaining at all, but I think Santa and I had conflicting ideas of what was best for me. Just as, I'm sure, Santa might possibly have conflicting ideas of what is best for Peyton and Ella. ESPECIALLY Ella.

Peyton went first. He flipped through to the boy section and carefully circled the things he liked. Then he wrote them in his notebook. Then he researched each toy by looking over the pictures again and erased the ones he deemed inappropriate (too babyish) for his age.


He's totally my kid - the way he tried to write it all neat and organized, and how he researched and made changes. I just think it's the sweetest list ever.

And, off-topic, here's the next page in his notebook:


I love it. He's the perfect 6 1/2 year old. 


Then, Ella got to go through the catalog. I look over, and she's on the couch circling EVERY SINGLE THING in the girl section. Not joking.


And when she was done with all the circling, she got a piece of paper and a pen. And then she asked, "Mommy, how do you spell....."


I'll translate for those of you who aren't proficient in 4 1/2 year old writing: 
"ALL tHE tOYS iN tHe WORLD"


I know! Why didn't I ever think of that? The girl doesn't mess around. She GETS. IT. DONE.

And then, a few days later, I was watching Little Bill with her. A commercial came on for that dang Barbie Jet and she was all ooh-ing and aah-ing over it. I asked her if she would like to put it on her Christmas list and she got all irritated because I had forgotten:

"Mommy! I don't need to, remender?" (I LOVE how she says remender. LOVE!)
"Why?"
"Because it already says All The Toys In The World!"


Good luck with that one, Santa.

7 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

LOVE those little munchkins of yours! I did the same thing with noah and he picked out a bunch of stuff. We still have the catalogue in the living room so I don't forget to tell Santa about all the things he NEEDS. Ha ha, they crack me up.
xo

4kidsgrandma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
4kidsgrandma said...

So cute. Santa's mom needs to see those lists, Darcy & Ali!

StepThruCrazy said...

I remember circling things for Christmas, too, and now my kids do! That's too funny, all the toys in the world... I'm surprised my 5 year old didn't think of that one! My 4 year old saw the Barbie Jet and said she wants one, and I gasped at the price, ouch! :)

Darcy said...

Oh my goodness StepThruCrazy - I know! I just saw the price today. Ridiculous!

Jami said...

Love it! Kids are the biggest delight!!! Have Happy Holidays!

Paula said...

Cute story! By the way, I used to obsess over the Sears and JC Penney's catalogs too!

This is my first time stopping by. Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...